We are looking for an energetic and dynamic individual with a passion to join our exciting and pioneering ministry, Third Space Ministries, as a Strip Club Chaplaincy Coordinator. The main objective of the role is to oversee and manage current Third Space Ministries strip club initiatives and to create opportunities for outreach and chaplaincy into London strip clubs and possibly further afield.
This will be a part time, permanent role for 21 hours a week.
Salary: £20,000 – £22,000 FTE
- Lead and develop a team of volunteers who focus on specific areas of the nightlife industry.
- Offer pastoral oversight to volunteer chaplains working in a team environment.
- Engage with existing and developing new external Third Space Ministries partnerships within the sex industry.
- Work towards normalising chaplaincy and evangelism within the sex industry in London and beyond.
Your ability to build positive relationships with a wide range of people and develop networks with other bodies will be important in serving the communities that Third Space Ministries wish to reach. It will be important to build relationships with the people you interact with regardless of ethical, moral or cultural differences.
- Reporting directly to the CEO on all activities planned and executed.
- Developing Third Space sex industry initiatives including the current ministry Illuminate Soho.
- Weekly visits to Soho strip clubs (Illuminate Soho currently has access into 3) with a team of volunteers.
- Chaplaincy meet-ups with women who are in need of further spiritual or emotional support.
- Building relationships with current and new clubs through networking with management.
- Engaging with a variety of secular and Christian broadcasting networks to present the mission, its current form and the vision going forward.
- Undertaking speaking engagements, media opportunities and delivering training sessions.
- To prioritise and develop opportunities to pray for the Soho sex industry. e.g through local prayer walks or prayer meetings.
- To actively fundraise for Third Space initiatives.
- To oversee and manage the Illuminate Soho Instagram account which exists as a resource and connection point with women who work in Strip Clubs and other creative industries.
- To oversee and manage the Love London Nightlife social media pages which exists to promote London nightlife initiatives.
- Other work relevant to the role and to Third Space as and when it arises.
- Possess the ability to offer prayer and ongoing pastoral support in a strip club environment.
- Ability to give clear, informative, compelling, and passionate presentations.
- Experience of building effective networks and strategic partnerships in outreach settings.
- Passion for, and evidenced experience of interest /participation in Christian outreach.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills including ability to work in team.
- Experience of training, leading and influencing a team of active volunteers.
- Ability to relate to nightlife culture – in the UK and overseas.
- A self-starter, effective leader, but also able to take direction from and collaborate with the CEO.
- Works well under pressure and has ability to meet deadlines without direct supervision.
- Ability to recruit, motivate and lead teams, primarily made up of volunteers.
- Flexibility to work unsocial hours
- Must be IT literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media).
- Punctual, organised, good time management skills, and balance long and short-term priorities.
- Able to work across boundaries and overcome barriers, with an open and tolerant approach.
- Genuine occupational requirement this post be held by a practicing Christian.
- Genuine occupational requirement this post be held by a female.
- We encourage applications from all backgrounds.
The term ‘Third Place’ was coined by sociologist Ray Oldenburg and appeared in his book ‘The Great Good Place’. He describes the first place in society as home, the second place as work, and the third places/spaces as those environments where people meet to develop friendship, discuss issues and relax – coffee shops, gyms, pubs, sports clubs, nightclubs, and social groups etc. Third spaces are a vital factor in the quest for community.
At Third Space Ministries we like to be in these areas of the leisure industry, places where people are least likely to expect a God encounter, places of spiritual seeking, and places where the church hasn’t traditionally been present and intentional.
We facilitate this through chaplaincy work, and enabling team outreach, teaching and training, and working in partnership with the local church.
Illuminate Soho, our primary focus on strip club chaplaincy, was started in September 2018 and had a weekly presence in 3 strip clubs in Soho. During the pandemic the work has declined but some of the relationships have continued online. However, we anticipate that a fresh approach may be required going forward, seeking to connect with management again, meeting new dancers, and recruiting a new team. We are open to additional ideas to develop this work and would be keen to work with the gifts and passions presented by the successful candidate.
How to Apply
Please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would like to apply for this role, in line with the person specification, to:
Closing date: 29th October 2021
Please note: satisfactory references, evidence of the correct permission to work in the UK, and a basic DBS Disclosure will be required before the successful applicant can take up the post.